[OM] Dumb "night" photo question

Subject: [OM] Dumb "night" photo question
From: "Olympus" <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 23:34:21 -0800
I guess it's not just a night time photo question, but a museum one as
well...  How do they get the night photos to have such a high contrast of
background being very black, but the subject being very well lighted?  Mine
always come out with the background being a bit gray..  That annoys me.
Generally, my night pictures aren't that sharp, and have kind of "foggy"..
How do I "do like the professionals"?

Also, in a museum, they don't allow flash.  The light is not very bright,
and so I slow the shutter speed down a bit, and I guess that's why mine come
out looking over exposed all over, but if I don't, they look under exposed
on the subject..  Is that when I crank it to wide open??

Someone needs to give me some lessons (or at least some concepts and
theories).

Thanks!
Albert