Re: [OM] Dumb "night" photo question

Subject: Re: [OM] Dumb "night" photo question
From: Thomas Bryhn <thomas.bryhn@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 12:01:45 +0100
At 08:34 16.11.01, you wrote:
I guess it's not just a night time photo question, but a museum one as
well...  How do they get the night photos to have such a high contrast of
background being very black, but the subject being very well lighted?  Mine
always come out with the background being a bit gray..  That annoys me.
Generally, my night pictures aren't that sharp, and have kind of "foggy"..
How do I "do like the professionals"?

Spot metering and slide film. No matter how well you expose your negative film some machine (or jerk) will try to lighten up the dark areas during printing to bring out shadow detail. Unless you pay an arm and a leg for professional printing.

Thomas Bryhn