[OM] Fuji Acros

Subject: [OM] Fuji Acros
From: "Sue Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 09:15:44 -0600
Mike Stephens asked if anyone has tried the new fuji Acros. I have used one
roll, via the Fuji rep, not available aver the counter here yet, although
the local store is now under Fuji ownership.

I used a 120 roll on a commercial job, against a roll of Ilford FP4+, the
last of that bargain stuff  I mentioned some time ago. I was shooting in a
chemical plant, as some units were being set. It was a clear morning. I
rated the FP4+ at about 200, as discussed earlier, and the Acros at 100, the
rated speed from Fuji. I tried to shoot the two in turn, of the same
situation. Both were processed in dip-and-dunk Xtol, in the same run.

I compared the negatives with a 12x magnifier. While both are fine grained
films, the FP4+ grain tended to clump just a bit. Not so much to be
noticable in a normal print, but certainly with the 12x. The acros grain was
smooth and even, as the character on Saturday Night Live said, like buttah.
It was sharp, and resolved the wealth of fine detail and full tonal range of
the chemical plant completely.

Had I not bought a brick of Plus-X a few days before, I would try at least a
propak now. As it is, I will wait 'till the plus-X runs out. don't want to
muddy my mind excessively.

Bill Pearce