RE: [OM] [OT] And you thought _you_ hated UPS

Subject: RE: [OM] [OT] And you thought _you_ hated UPS
From: "Daniel J. Mitchell" <DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 09:43:38 -0700
> Because it was very poorly packed.  No way bubble wrap is
> adequate for the job.

 Yup; a lot of people have pointed out to the original poster that,
basically, your box may well be under many hundred pounds of other boxes in
transit, and bubble wrap doesn't cut it to support that sort of load. Also
it needs to be wrapped so that it can't move around inside the box; this is
why PCs come with those peculiar-shaped corner-wrapping things.

 An interesting quote from the followup thread (find it all at
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/11/15/2216241&mode=thread)

 ----beginquote---
NEVER EVER EVER send anything by UPS unless you get in insured and 2 day
aired or less. If you have ever seen one of their distribution centers, you
would be shocked. Imagined miles of conveyer belts going 5 stories up. Boxes
on each one... as they roll across, a barcode reader reads the UPC code and
an arm will push the box off the conveyer belt to the next level down,
depending on it's destination. I saw TV boxes drop 5 stories and onto the
ground, the maintenance person just picks it up and throws it back on the
belt. They do this for efficiency, but with absolutely no regard to the
contents of the packages.

The reason I say 2 day air or less, is because those packages are not as
automated... they are taken by actual people from truck to plane to truck to
plane. This is probably the only way you can get something shipped intact to
it's destination.
 ---endquote---

 which ties in with my experience getting things from KEH -- they ship UPS,
but it goes next-day, so it presumably doesn't get as abused in transit.

 -- dan