Re: [OM] Difference Between the 50mm Zuiko Lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Difference Between the 50mm Zuiko Lenses
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 10:35:51 -0800
The service manager of the dealership my father has used ever since his
1975 first Mercedes purchase, sells BMW, and recently Volvo also, (he
works on them all). He has become good friends with my father over the
years beginning with the fact that he gets all his oil changes, etc.
there. They know eachother outside the car situation as well. He's
always describing that in his experience, the build quality, and
reliability of Mercedes has always far superceded BMW. The tolerances
are much tighter, as well.
BMW has become quite the very expensive trendy car, but its roots are
more towards the market of the famous 2002. They realized relatively
recently (and the japanese Lexus, & Infinity as well), that there is
much more profit in upscale cars.

The reason that the sevice manager fields many more problems with Volvo
reliability is probably due to that they are less expensive than the
other 2 makes he services, but its tough to come up with an excuse for
BMW. (This is amongst many years & many cars. There will always be those
who will say "I never had a prob with my BMW", and those who will have
probs with an MB).

Larry

The people polled by Cons*mer Rep*rts seem to feel their BMWs are more reliable than the MB owners. In addition that MB "sport ute" was tagged by them as one of the 10 most unreliable cars that one could buy.

BMW has been making the 800 series sedan more than just recently. Some would say that the high end competition from BMW is the only reason that MB has moved away from the stodgy, truck like automobiles that they traditionally built.

I used to have a family friend who worked for Studebaker. According to him they were built better than anything else on the road. So much for anecdotal evidence.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California