RE: [OM] TOPE voting progress, leonid meteors and photos

Subject: RE: [OM] TOPE voting progress, leonid meteors and photos
From: Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2001 10:36:11 -0500
On Saturday, November 17, 2001 at 11:09, John and Helen Wheeler
<olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote re "RE: [OM] TOPE voting progress, leon" saying:

> On local TV this morning the commentator said (and let's face it, TV
> commentators know everything <g>) that the best view in the world
of this
> stuff will be from Victoria, Australia next month.

The Leonids will be bestest in the eastern Pacific early Monday
morning.

For NA viewers, you can find cloud maps at
http://www.cmc.ec.gc.ca/cmc/htmls/clds_vis_e.html

olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On
> Behalf Of Dr. Rainer Wagner

> Hi Olaf,
> I just consulted a few astronomy sites, the main activity will be only
> visible from the Far east (Mongolia) or eventually Australia and the
western
> US. We  here (I am in Juelich, close to Aachen)have the chance to
see at
> least some bright meteors by getting up early on th 18th and 19th(3 -
6 in
> the morning) Two years ago, I just by chance  saw some bright
fireballs
> about one day ahead of the main performance, so (provided the
weather allows
> it :-( ) it may be worth while to look at the sky during the next nights,
> especially during the early morning hours, when the constellation
Leo comes
> up in the eastern sky.
>
> For photography, I would recommend the fastest and widest
wideangle , the
> fastest film (even kodak ektchrome 1600 ) and exposures between 1
and 4 min.
> I perhaps (weather!) will try my kiev 60 with 30mm/3.5 fisheye and
Fuji RMS
> pushed to 1000, and Fuji NGH 800 pushed 1 stop. Eventually OM1
with 24/2,8
> or Kiron 28/2,0 and Supra 800 pushed one stop.

------- Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur -------------------
   ,__@         Tom A. Trottier +1 613 860-6633 fax:231-6115
 _-\_<,         758 Albert St., Ottawa Ontario Canada K1R 7V8
(*)/'(*)        ICQ:57647974  Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx N45.412
W75.714