Re: [OM] Fungus in my 50/1.4 MC?

Subject: Re: [OM] Fungus in my 50/1.4 MC?
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2001 09:00:37 -0800
-snip

What shall I do? The lens only costed me 40 $ or so as it has a tiny scratch on the front element. Any chance to open and clean it? Don't think I will send it to a CLA because of the low worth.

Any helpful comments are welcome.

Bernd Möller

Bernd,

I have never understood the logic of not spending any money on an item that you have already saved money on. People who buy a used car expect to spend money to fix things. It is still cheaper than new. If you are asking for advice, you probably do not have any experience and may damage the lens doing it yourself. Even if you only paid $40 for it the lens is still a precision optical device. Any other used replacement for it is likely to also need a CLA. Why not give it to someone who knows what they are doing and get a professional job on it so that you can enjoy it for years to come? Why wonder whether the last funny looking photo you took was the result of your inexpert reassembly.

If you had bought the lens at full price when it was new and it now needed a CLA after years of service you probably would not hesitate to get a CLA. What is the difference?

Winsor

--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California