Re: [OM] Leonids

Subject: Re: [OM] Leonids
From: Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2001 14:54:43 -0500
Up in the Great White North near Ottawa, I saw them every few
seconds, sometimes 5 or more at once, some with trails that hung
there for 30 seconds. I went about 55k SW of Ottawa to get some
darker skies. There must have been a hundred of us at this park. Got
lots of practice bending over backwards between tending my cameras.

Tom

On Sunday, November 18, 2001 at 12:56, Mickey Trageser
<olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote re "Re: [OM] Leonids" saying:

> Garth, I don't think that there were that many. I had read somewhere
(the
> links posted here) that it was 1500/hr in '66, with predictions as high
as
> 8k/hr for this episode. Of course, we won't see all that are hitting.
We
> have a limited view on the ground, and some just aren't big enough
to be
> visible at ground level. I'd guess we saw around 100 in the time from
4:45
> to 5:15. Some were brilliant and long, and some were dim and
small. I'm
> hopeful to have more than stars on my exposures! When you point
the 24mm at
> the sky, the coverage isn't really all that wide....
>
> -Mickey

------- Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur -------------------
   ,__@         Tom A. Trottier +1 613 860-6633 fax:231-6115
 _-\_<,         758 Albert St., Ottawa Ontario Canada K1R 7V8
(*)/'(*)        ICQ:57647974  Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx N45.412
W75.714