Re: [OM] Leonids

Subject: Re: [OM] Leonids
From: Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2001 12:03:04 -0800
I was pleasantly surprised to be greeted by sparklingly clear skies at
1am. This is a real treat in November in the US PacNW. The show was
pretty good with sometimes multiple meteors per second. Some very bright
with long tails that hung around for a second or two. No messing with
cameras tonight. I set my chair up on the rock in front of the house
with good views of Leo to the east and overhead but we're surrounded by
trees so no views to the horizon. Actually that was a plus as the
horizon was relatively bright due to the lights reflecting on the fog in
the valleys. I looked worse up toward Vancouver and I couldn't see the
lights on Grouse Mtn. I'm sure that there were many more meteors that
just didn't show through the haze. It was very nice to lay back and
enjoy the stars and listen to the frogs and hear the geese and cattle
complain about the chill in the air and listen to a deer crash around in
the brush frustrated I suppose because it couldn't browse in my flower
patch with me and the dog sitting out there. There was even a bit of
frost on the moss when I went in. We called it quits about 3am when some
high haze obscured all but the brightest meteors. And a question for
anyone who may know about this sort of thing: What is that object
located about half way between Leo and Jupiter? When I looked it up this
morning my best guess was the Beehive nebula.

mike

--
Latitude 48° 32' North, Longitude 123° 7' West