Re: [OM] G20 Summit in Ottawa

Subject: Re: [OM] G20 Summit in Ottawa
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 14:52:40 -0800

OM content: my lightweight kit consisted of the OM-4/winder 2, 24mm 2.8,
35-70mm 3.6, and 135mm 2.8. Quick question to the list: those of you who
enjoy street photography/photojournalism, what lenses to you usually reach
for?

Take care,

Bruce

Interesting account. For better protection still (and less possible damage to your equipment), next time go out "armed" with a Motor Drive 2 instead of a Winder as they're heavier and cast metal. <g>

Re kits for the street: Had it been me with just one body I'd have gone only with the 35-70mm f3.6, which I've found to be an excellent lens for all occasions. Had I taken more than one lens then I'd have taken more than one body. It's that simple. I learned early on as a journalist that it's much faster (and more flexible) to have all of your lenses fixed to bodies already. This also gives you more ready film to expose in a pinch. Rarely these days do I travel with more than two cameras, though I own three 4T's w/individual motor drives plus a Power Pack 2 in my pocket as backup. I justify the third body as this allows me to have several bodies loaded with different emulsions. (At the moment I have one camera filled with Impresa 50 for night shoots, another with Tri-X, and the third, the body I drag along with me daily in the taxi, with Fujipress 1600 as this allows me better opportunity come the darkness, though sometimes I'll go our with 800 or 400, just depending.)

Also, I think for the street I'd eschew my 24mm (SC as is yours) for my MC 28mm f2--less likely to suffer from incidental glare--problematical when there's no time to set up your shots.

I'd love to see your work from this event.

Tris