RE: [OM] leonid

Subject: RE: [OM] leonid
From: "Daniel J. Mitchell" <DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 18:38:28 -0700
> You need a dark sky to take pictures of stars and meteors. Sky glow
> will pretty much wash everything out.

 Well, it _looked_ dark to me! <grin> (I know, I know.. but compared to the
glow over Calgary behind me, the sky really did look pretty darned dark.  I
guess I should have gone a lot further away, but driving around unknown bits
of country, in the dark, trying to get as far as possible from civilisation,
was rather more than I could face at 3am..)

 Is there any sort of good objective way to know how dark the sky really is?
I couldn't see the milky way, I suppose, which suggests that there's some
glow -- but I could see a _lot_ of stars, which fooled me.

 -- dan