Re: [OM] Beware of foreign entanglements?

Subject: Re: [OM] Beware of foreign entanglements?
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 21:25:43 -0800
on 11/19/01 12:37 PM, Peter A. Klein at pklein@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I just made my first Ebay sale, and already there's a problem.  My ad
> clearly specified, "U.S. and Canada bidders only, please," cashier's check
> or money order, U.S. priority mail shipping.  So of course the winning
> bidder has a .fr at the end of his email address, indicating he is in
> France.  He has not contacted me yet.  He has good feedback.  There is a
> U.S bidder one dollar lower who the French bidder "sniped" at the last minute.
>
> So what do I do now?  Do I have a right to refuse to sell to him?  I
> couldn't find anything about this situation on the Ebay help.  Or should I
> just live with it?
>
> I really didn't want to deal with the hassle of bank wire transfers and
> international shipping on a $56.00 item--a Zuiko 50/1.4.  I don't plan to
> be a big-time seller, so I really don't want to open the door to middlemen
> with a PayPal seller's account or Ebay Checkout.
>
> --Peter

As you were clear about your terms in your auction, I think you have a right
to expect the winning bidder to abide by those terms. You need to wait until
the winner contacts you (you did send him a contact also, right?) and then
stand by your terms. It may be that he is ready and prepared to comply with
all your terms, there is no problem then. If he doesn't want to send you a
cashier's check or US currency money order, and pay for shipping by US Mail
(to wherever he is located), then explain that if he won't comply with those
requirements you will be unable to complete the transaction.

You want to be fair, complete, and understandable in your communication, as
this will be a strong defense if you get a negative feedback. If the winning
bidder won't comply then you must inform him that you are going to be forced
to either relist the item or sell it to the second highest bidder (it seems
to me that this will be your choice...). Wait to tell him this until after
he refuses to comply with your terms, so it doesn't seem like a threat.

I would wait to contact the second-high bidder until the entire
communication is finished. The second-high bidder may not want to deal in a
private transaction, as they will lose the 'protections' that eBay offers...
you are then out the eBay fee, and will have to relist.
--

Jim Brokaw