[OM] Lens longevity-digital camera OM lenses

Subject: [OM] Lens longevity-digital camera OM lenses
From: William Clark <wclark@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 08:39:21 -0500
The recent posts regarding OM lenses on digital cameras has been great.
Some commented that the OM system is dead, which it probably is.  This got
me to thinking about lenses.  I sold my 65-116 to a list member last week
and a bunch of other stuff to a local dealer.  I bought a Nik*n 60 f2.8
macro lens for my AF system.  Why?  The lens blows away anything OM has to
offer (really it does).  While I do believe that a lot of today's lenses are
far better than OM lenses (better technology, etc.), I do have a problem
with some of them.  The new motorized (AFS, HSM) ones have me troubled.  I
have used them (borrowed) and man are they fun and fast to AF focus!!!!
However, what do you think their reliability is?  With more stuff in the
lens, there is so much more to go wrong.  In addition, they are hugely
expensive to fix (I pity my friends who have had to get them fixed).  With
OM lenses lasting as long as they have (mine are in super shape), does
anyone think the newer computer/motor/gizmo lenses with fair as well?

-Bill