Re: [OM] Digital Camera that takes OM lenses (READ!)

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital Camera that takes OM lenses (READ!)
From: Thomas Bryhn <thomas.bryhn@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 20:08:21 +0100
At 19:25 20.11.01, Hans v.W. wrote:

Will Olympus make serious profit from a digital 'OM'? I think they will.
There must be tens of thousands of Zuiko owners who are watching the digital
revolution. How many of them will rush to the shop when Olympus releases a
digital body for them they can afford? I know I would. And if this body
would also work with a range of dedicated AF lenses I would also buy one or
more of these (if only to cover the wide angle range, or to use the full
range of features including AF). We form a big group of potential buyers;
let's hope Olympus realizes this.

I suspect Olympus hasn't kept the OM system alive for us maniacs, but for the (lower end, in relative terms) scientific market. There must be quite a few OMs and accessories collecting dust on microscopes, endoscopes and what-not, and I bet they still sell a few OM bodies with their microscopes. Here at the Department of Physics, University of Oslo, the semiconductor guys now use Olympus digitals with their optical microscopes. I guess convenience is king for simple visual documentation of material samples, but according to friends at the Department of Biology they still use a few film cameras there. This market must be vanishing fast now with digitals getting better and more accepted.

Regards,
Thomas Bryhn