RE: [OM] Digital Camera that takes OM lenses (READ!)

Subject: RE: [OM] Digital Camera that takes OM lenses (READ!)
From: "Daniel J. Mitchell" <DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 17:59:56 -0700
> I seriously
> underestimated the cost of a digital OM.  I doubt it would be
> significantly cheaper than:
>
> Nikon
> D1X 5.47 Megapixel Interchangeable Lens SLR Digital Camera
> Price $5,349.95

 Yup, that's the killer for me on buying a digital OM any time soon. Sure, I
have money invested in lenses, but nothing like that much.

 This comes back to 'why do you want a digital camera'? Personally, I want
one so I can take quick snapshots of things and put them on a web page with
minimal hassle and development time, not so I can take high-quality photos.

 The 'but think of the money you'd save in processing' argument doesn't
really apply here -- the times I take a lot of photos and discard most of
them is when I'm playing around with techniques, which implies real lenses,
which implies a very expensive body -- so I'd need to take a _heck_ of a lot
of test shots to pay back the cost of processing. (CDN$2.99/24 pictures =>
~64,000 pictures before I'm ahead of the game for the Nikon there. Oh, and
that assumes I never want any prints of my images).

 -- dan