Re: [OM] Digital Camera that takes OM lenses (READ!)

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital Camera that takes OM lenses (READ!)
From: Joel Ingulsrud <joel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 12:15:32 -0800
C.H.Ling wrote:

>> The dynamic range advantage that people like Stephen Johnson have
>> been enjoying for years is very, very compelling--how much would _you_ pay
>> to have 18 stops of dynamic range in a single image? The real revolution is
>> about dynamic range, not resolution.
>>

> I don't see 18 stops of D-Range, my E-10's exposure latitude is just
> similar to silde (may be only a bit better). 18 stops need at least 18
> bits to reproduce, I haven't seen any DC has 18 bit yet. Actually
> color negative can capture a much better D-Range than the current DC.

Sorry, my statement was a bit misleading--I'm referring to the future
potential of digital SLRs, based on what leading-edge practitioners of high
end digital photography have achieved, and assuming this trickles down to
mass-production SLRs. Stephen Johnson got 18 stops out of a Better Light
6000 using different gain settings on each of the three 14-bit sensors in an
experiment he did last year. If you're not familiar with his work, check
out:

http://www.sjphoto.com/

Of course I don't expect the "trickle down" to include scanning back
exposures (although the motion artifacts can be a cool effect).

> I still can't find a DC from other brand has similar
> "usablility". Even many already has 5MP and longer zoom range. They
> just lack an optical viewfinder, manual zoom, much more usable manual
> focus and fast shutter response.

That's good to hear and very promising for Olympus. Will Canon's and
Foveon's home-grown CMOS sensors prevail over the Kodak CCD Olympus is
wedded to? I'm keeping my fingers crossed...

Joel Ingulsrud