Re: Was: [OM] Digital Camera that takes OM lenses (READ!) Is now: Sync

Subject: Re: Was: [OM] Digital Camera that takes OM lenses (READ!) Is now: Sync speed vs. fastest speed
From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 11:26:06 +1100
>>You're right, IMO.  I've never seen any horizontal shutter rated
>>faster than 1/2000 of the OM-3/4.  All the shutters rated higher are
>>vertically travelling metal "blinds" shutters.  And they go as high
>>as 1/12,000 on the Minolta Maxxum/Dynax 9!  Geez, that sucker must
>>have a tiny slit width!
>>
>>Skip
>>
>Of course, traveling slits distort moving objects. Horizontally
>moving slits will lengthen horizontally moving objects in one
>direction and shorten them in the other.  That is not too disturbing
>compared to the twist given to a vertically moving object.  I am not
>sure about vertical shutters.  Are they not multiple metal blade
>mechanisms, not a traveling slit?
>--
>Winsor Crosby

There are vertical cloth shutters - my Leica CL for example. Also very old
large format reflex - see the classic shot by Lartigue of the race car for
the distortion effect.
All the metal multi-blade shutters create a slit too at high speeds -
highest flash sync is simply the highest speed at which the shutter is
totally open for ANY time. EOS 620 was 1/250th (double the speed of other
contemporary and later models) and they get a good price still for that
reason.
AndrewF