Re: [OM] Re: How good is the FTL?

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: How good is the FTL?
From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 20:03:10 +1100
>The FTL is a fairly unremarkable "me too" M42 screw-mount camera,
>one of many M42-mount models available at the time, except for the
>fact that the FTL had full-aperture metering when the contemporary
>models from Pentax and its imitators still did stop-down metering.

Fujica had full aperture metering too, as did a couple of others - there's
something on the Cameraquest site about which ones. It was possible to file
the detente off the Fujica lenses to use them on Spotties and some did as
the bodies weren't as reliable. Spotties were stop-down for metering but
not for shooting - quite easy to get used to unless you were shooting
action and good enough to work with anything but slides. If you work with
an incident meter for a while (a very good idea), you'll realise that you
don't need to change settings as often as most people think.

>3) Set exposure: Meter in the viewfinder is a "lollipop and stick."
>   Changing the shutter speed (top deck, right) moves the lollipop.
>   Changing the aperture (ring on rear of lens) moves the stick.
>   You center the stick inside the lollipop circle.

I like this system - the early Leicaflex had it as do a couple of Ricoh
KR5's I bought for school use last year. Makes aperture or shutter priority
choice very simple and it's more obvious in the finder than a needle and
brackets.
AndrewF