[OM] 8mm fisheye games

Subject: [OM] 8mm fisheye games
From: "Michael Virsinger" <mikev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 22:42:56 -0500
In preparation for my trip to New Mexico last week to shoot the Leonid's, I
felt I finally had the "killer application" and enough justification to
purchase an 8mm Fisheye lens. It just so happened that the opportunity came
up a week earlier for a mint MC version of this lens came up for sale for
$800. With my Zuikohaulism flaring up, I typed an email with shaky hands to
the seller letting him know I would take the lens. The only problem was the
lens was in Germany and me and my melting credit card were in NY. Well after
several e-mails and a brief phone discussion, the seller agreed to send me
the lens BEFORE he received payment! Now my hands were really shaking as the
possibility that I would have the lens in time for the trip became more
real. Since it was Monday and I was flying out on Thursday, I decided for
some "insurance" and had him ship the lens directly to the observatory where
I would be staying.

So, now off to happily watch the UPS tracking site refreshing the page every
hour to monitor it's progress. Soon the problems started. First problem: the
shipper forgot to declare the value so we lost a day (I start to become a
little worried). Second problem: package was held for security checks and
screening for 2 days (now I start biting my nails). And then the killer -
Third problem: UPS could not make out some part of the address and held the
package another day to sort it out. Oh well the Leonids were spectacular and
I got some nice shots using my 16/3.5 FE that I brought as a backup. I
really wanted the whole sky view, but I guess I'll have to wait another 99
years for the next opportunity with no moon.

So today the observatory sent me an e-mail saying they finally received the
lens and are shipping it back to me. So back to the UPS tracking site...

Mike V. <><

Although the lens has the front and rear covers, it does not have the hard
case. Does anyone have one or know of one for sale?