Re: [OM] 40mm f2

Subject: Re: [OM] 40mm f2
From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2001 15:30:36 +1100
>Comparison with the Leica CL is problematic to me. I was a Leica
>owner when the CL was issued and it was Leica's first venture into a
>cheap consumer oriented "tourist camera" and the design of the system
>had more to do with cost and profit than the best of design. For
>instance, expensive prisms were replaced by inexpensive mirrors in
>the rangefinder which also was made much less accurate by reducing
>the rangefinder base. It did not get a lot of respect at the time.  I
>would hope that Oly was rather trying to emulate the compactness of
>their high quality namesake M cameras with their collapsible lenses.
>Winsor Crosby

Nevertheless, it has its fans <g>
Minolta did make some 'improvements' over the traditional M - much easier
shutter speed adjustment dial I've ever used. I love mine dearly.
There is a parallel. While the 40/2 Summicron-C is actually cheaper than
the Zuiko 40/2 (under $300 and a bargain for a Leitz) and probably much
better (never used the Zuik so I wouldn't know how much better), there was
a plan to sell the CL with a 40/2.8 Elmar-C originally. A very small lens
but not as good optically as a Summicron. A few were made and they are now
very rare. The two I've seen on ebay went for serious money (started around
$2.5K) despite the quality.
Pancake lenses are 'sexy' - the Pentax 'K' mount version that was an option
on the M series bodies is now sought after as it makes an ME a pocket
camera. Is there a reason for these lenses to be around the 35-45mm length?
Is it easier to make a flat lens in this focal length? The new Voigtlander
rangefinder pancake is a 35mm - why not a 50mm? Yes, slightly wider is
handy when travelling but 50mm was regarded as a compromise length anyway.
Was it a marketing decision or an engineering decision?
AndrewF