Re: [OM] Rangefinder?

Subject: Re: [OM] Rangefinder?
From: Henrik Dahl <hdahl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2001 15:40:45 +0100
Thanks
I think I'll have to find one to try out to really understand the "width" (bad pun intended) of it.

Henrik Dahl

 Could someone explain the Rangefinder philosophy/technique in simple
 phrases ;-)
 I know what they look like and so, but what's good/bad/special with them?

 Thanks
 Henrik Dahl

From my understanding, the rangefinder basically has a few prisms in it; you
look out the viewfinder window, and it has a picture of the image you want
to take a picture of, and then another image though the lens as well.  When
the two come together, then your picture is in focus.  The problem is,
unlike an SLR, you always get the same view, it's not in correct perspective
with respect to the mm of the lens like an SLR.  In an SLR, basically
WYSIWYG.  In a Rangefinder, it's not true.

The advantages are; like a Leica M6 for example, because there is no mirror
flap, it's very steady, it's also very quiet.  Also, due to the lack of a
mirror, it's very compact in depth, and overall size.

albert