Re: [OM] Rangefinder?

Subject: Re: [OM] Rangefinder?
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2001 11:34:48 -0800
of course rangefinder are very pleasant too... and much easier to focus if
you wear glasses...
It 's another philosophy... sometimes I use my OM's (3), sometimes I play
with my collection of old things... from a minolta himatic 7s (my first ...
when I was 12...) to some special odditys (Kiev contax... Leningrad... yes
they work... and some of the lenses are very good... or -very- old Leica
2f... ) ... but I also use a contax G2 (a very special tool... with
wonderful lenses but the autofocus rangefinder is very tricky to use, you
never know when your in focus or out, think I'll make an exchange with an
hexarRF or with a L....M6) ...

In short, it depends on the work you want to do... rangefinders are
wonderful in low light... quiet situation, ... SLR are better for special
lenses and macro or when focus/ out of focus pictures are needed... Ideal
should be to have both around... rangefinder with 35, slr with 85 or 100
(and a 24 in the pocket)....

A good way to try rangefinder is the kiev contax solution... very wide
rangefinder base (twice the leica...) and very good lenses... (85mm
Jupiter/sonnar for instance) ... and it's cheap.... (just bought one in
estonia  as new with a working meter... for 75 DM with lenses)... just for
fun...

like good old OMs... think first, shoot after...

I had never heard of one, but I found this page:

http://www.geocities.com/vienna/7139/kiev4m.htm

Interesting camera. The rangefinder base appears to be longer than an M series Leica, but not twice. Maybe twice the one on the F series.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California