Re: [OM] Rangefinder?

Subject: Re: [OM] Rangefinder?
From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 11:46:13 +1100

>I had never heard of one, but I found this page:
>
>http://www.geocities.com/vienna/7139/kiev4m.htm
>
>Interesting camera.  The rangefinder base appears to be longer than
>an M series Leica, but not twice.  Maybe twice the one on the F
>series.
>--
>Winsor Crosby
>Long Beach, California

I've got a Kiev 4AM which I prefer - last of the line. Has no meter but
does have a hot-shoe. The meters on the Kievs, unlike the original contax
3/3a, are less reliable. Often not working.
The rangefinder base length is huge but right, not twice - allows the use
of the Jupiter 12 135mm without too many problems I believe. There was even
a Contax 180mm! There is a problem though - you have to learn to hold the
camera differently or your finger blocks the RF window.
The early Kiev 2 is sought after as it is reputed to contain actual Zeiss
parts, as are the lenses from the 1950's. Mine has a construction quality
that does not inspire confidence but it looks good, works well and cost $40
from ebay. The 35mm Biogon copy lens is good too.
Rangefinder base length - 90mm I think, as in original Contax II/III.
Post war Contax reduced this to 73mm.
Leica M2-6 all between 68.5 and 69.5mm
Leica screw mount - only 39mm
My Fed II - 67mm!
For rangefinder novices - RF focus accuracy is related to RF base length
(distance between the two windows) and viewfinder magnification. This is
very important with tele and fast lenses. It's all much more arcane than
the choice of screen in an OM and more critical.
Re: the Leica CL comments the other day - this has a short base and
simplified mechanism but allows edge focussing on the RF patch (sort of
split image) which improves accuracy.

Now for the Oly rangefinder content! A friend of mine bought an Oly Wide-S
the other day. Looks like a basic '60's rangefinder but has a wicked
looking H.Zuiko 35/2 SC lens. He's testing it now but it looks impressive.
He'll probably sell it to me eventually but anyone got experience with this
little charmer?
http://www.claus-marin.de/35wideseng.htm

AndrewF