[OM] FL-40 flash

Subject: [OM] FL-40 flash
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 14:40:13 +0800
Just bought a used FL-40 for my E-10, it answered all my queries on why the
flash is so expensive and why many FL-40 owner said it is the most valuable
tool for E-10. Even I have only play with it for a very short time I would
like to recommend it to all E-10/20 owners.

May be you have seen the details specs on the Olympus web site, but I would
like to provide some highlights here:

General: In wide angle mode it cover an angle of 28mm (GN26), in tele mode
it cover to 80mm (GN40). with the supplied wide angle adapter the angle of
coverage is 21mm (GN18). It claimed to have very even illumination. It has
swiveling head that cover most angles but not the most important one for
macro (down position).

Full auto mode with E-10 (and other compatible Olympus DC) on all settings
including:
    a/ wide-tele auto zoom.
    b/ all exposure mode including manual exposure, it provide proper
exposure within the power range.
    c/ flash exposure compensation controlled by the camera, for E-10 in
1/3EV.
    d/ first and second curtain sync.
    d/ even the power on/off is sync to the camera too! (when the camera is
off, standby or in picture review mode, the flash will be off
automatically.)

For other cameras, in auto mode, it provide:
    a/ Aperture setting of F1.4 to F16.
    b/ Exposure compensation in 1/4EV by setting the ISO.

For other cameras, in manual mode, it provide:
    a/ GN2.3 to 26 in 1/4 stop in wide mode.
    b/ GN3.5 to 40 in 1/4 stop in tele mode.

It just like a precision equipment, with the flash plugged onto E-10, it
provide dead accurate exposure in most situation (except scene with high
reflection from mirror or shinning objects). On the other hand I always want
to have a flash that can set GN
number for my OMs, now the FL-40 can be double for this purpose. (I know
many other independent flash manufacturers has such feature but it just
seems not justify to buy one only for this purpose as I already have three
OM flashes.)

C.H.Ling