[OM] The Return of the Schnozz, part 1

Subject: [OM] The Return of the Schnozz, part 1
From: Ken N <image66@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 08:41:09 -0800 (PST)
Greetings all.  I've returned from my vacation to...

[drum-roll]

Great Smoky Mountain National Park and Mt. Mitchell.

The vacation was rather interesting.  We camped only ONE night
because of an open-fire ban throughout the entire area.
Something about forest fires going out of control and burning up
huge portions of the mountains.  Anyway, without a campfire,
what is camping in this cold weather season and with a sick
child?  Enter one brand new Sleep Inn Hotel in Gatlinburg.
Conned the desk clerk into giving us a massively discounted room
rate for three nights.  The manager wasn't too pleased with
letting us get away with three nights at $50 (per night) below
what he was supposed to charge us.  Tried to get one additional
night (at my good rate) but the manager pritner kicked us out.
Nothing like a brand new hotel room with compfy beds and clean
carpets.

The mountains were so dry that the rivers, streams and
waterfalls were nearly non-existant.  So much for water shots.
I did get some, but it was quite disappointing.

Spent our anniversary in Gatlinburg and ate a late lunch at the
Hard Rock Cafe.  Decent.  Hobbled back to the hotel, dropped the
girls off for naps and I took off by myself up the Roaring Fork
road and set-off for hiking a trail up to Grotto Falls.  I was
hoofing it because evening was setting in pretty fast.  That 1.2
miles took a bit longer because my soft intestines couldn't
handle Hard Rock too well.  I carried the OM-2S around my neck
with 50/3.5, 24/2.8 and 100/2.8 in jacket pockets and hand
carried my backpacking tripod.  I pretty will maintained a 3-4
mph pace up hill as I was really in a hurry (except for the
moments of feeling mighty green).  I get to the falls and manage
two pictures (taken with the 50/3.5) of the falls.  These
exposures were full two-minutes jobbies.  (ISO 100 film, rated
at 200 for these exposures)  I'm getting a bit nervious as it is
getting dark.  As soon as the shutter clicks off, I'm grabbing
the camera and running down the trail while callapsing the
tripod.  Near the end of the trailhead there is a fork in the
trail.  I couldn't remember which way I came up and it was too
dark to read the sign.  Almost came out of my skin when the owl
hooted right above my head.  (Why they always seem to do that to
me).  Guessed right and two minutes later I was back at the
Jeep.

Thursday we spent our Thanksgiving "dinner" on a mountainside
near a stream.  I cooked hamburgers and hotdogs on our Coleman
stove (with lots of bacon, cheese and so on).  We enjoyed our
picnic and got time to play with the girls a lot.  Took many
family pictures with the IS-3.  Made memories.

That evening, back in Gatlinburg, I had a neat adventure...

AG-Schnozz