Re: [OM] Steadying on the tripod or Cable Release?

Subject: Re: [OM] Steadying on the tripod or Cable Release?
From: Jim Couch <JamesBCouch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 10:33:48 -0800
I don't know what tripod/head combination you are using Tris, but mine
(and I would suggest yours) are anything but rock steady. (BTW I am
using a Manfrotto 3021 W/med Giotto ball head.) I would suggest that if
you really want to look at this logically you do some actual tests. The
first I would suggest is to mount your camera and longest lens on the
tripod and tap the the lens, watch how long it takes for the vibrations
to settle down. I think you will find it a real eye opener.

I think you might be suprised by how steady someone can hold things,
especially with the aid of an additional support.

After that test, you may find it advisable to try a few tests with and
without a cable release! FWIW I have found that with the long lenses,
the WORST method FOR ME is to use a cable release! The absolute best is
to use the OM4T self timer/mirror prefire method (when possible) Using
the Olympus suggested method does give me better results than a cable
release. What actually seems to work best is to use the Olympus method
in combination with a motor drive.

I have thought about doing some experiments with draping a beanbag over
the lens and testing with and without a cable release.

One thing about logic is that is rarely, if ever, a good substitute for
empirical knowledge.

Jim Couch