Re: [OM] Steadying on the tripod or Cable Release?

Subject: Re: [OM] Steadying on the tripod or Cable Release?
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 13:30:39 -0800

I don't know what tripod/head combination you are using Tris, but mine (and I would suggest yours) are anything but rock steady. (BTW I am using a Manfrotto 3021 W/med Giotto ball head.) I would suggest that if you really want to look at this logically you do some actual tests. The first I would suggest is to mount your camera and longest lens on the tripod and tap the the lens, watch how long it takes for the vibrations to settle down. I think you will find it a real eye opener.

I think you might be suprised by how steady someone can hold things, especially with the aid of an additional support.

After that test, you may find it advisable to try a few tests with and without a cable release! FWIW I have found that with the long lenses, the WORST method FOR ME is to use a cable release! The absolute best is to use the OM4T self timer/mirror prefire method (when possible) Using the Olympus suggested method does give me better results than a cable release. What actually seems to work best is to use the Olympus method in combination with a motor drive.

I have thought about doing some experiments with draping a beanbag over the lens and testing with and without a cable release.

One thing about logic is that is rarely, if ever, a good substitute for empirical knowledge.

Jim Couch

John's suggestion to droop some dead weight off the hook of the tripod's center column made sense--that's what those hooks are for. But to use your hands to steady the tripod strikes me as errant behavior, most especially for long exposures, which is the only reason I ever take my tripod along with me as a rule. As I noted, in a wind a case might be made for adding gentle pressure to the assembly. though even here I'd recommend applying this pressure to the tripod, not the camera body or lens--say, a third of the down the legs.

Sure, a long telephoto will vibrate more than a wide angle, no doubt about that. But if the tripod assembly is sturdy, and if the camera and lens weight is evenly distributed (more or less) they both will soon enough stop vibrating and you'll be all set to take great pictures. But the argument put forward was mainly about absorbing mirror shock, and while one's hands might indeed serve this purpose, at bottom all would be lost, as those same hands are bound to introduce more actual movement to the entire assembly.

You mention the motor drive. I always have a MD on my bodies. The only reason I wouldn't have one attached is because I'd sent one in for repair, and in that case I'd go to one of my Winder backups--assuming the other two bodies were unavailable (might be loaded with the wrong film, for example). These drives not only add weight but increased structural integrity--no small item for working in crowds, by the way--which probably helps in some small way with shake in mind, though I doubt one could measure the difference easily with the resultant image.

As for my equipment: I currently use a Gitzo 1377 ballhead on top of a Gitzo 2228 tripod. Mirror lock-up via the self-timer I have already addressed, and I agree that if conditions allow with re to the timed exposure then that's the way to proceed.

As for tests: if I get my focus to tack all's well, and I never lay a hand on my camera. I have braced the tripod manually, as described above, but I never touch the camera proper, much less the lens. To repeat: you'd be much better served to go the beanbag route with camera shake in mind, though with this in mind I it just might be than an even better approach is a water balloon that's been given time to "settle down."

Finally, if you refuse to come into these situations with a logical bent it's unlikely you'll make logical sense of this "empirical knowledge" you speak to. Rather it's much more likely that you will "see" whatever pleases you afterward with regard to picture quality. And please don't blame me for that unwelcome message--that's just the way life tends to work.

Anyway, one more time: you guys do what you want. <g>

Tris