Re: [OM] Olympus Pursues Standardized Mount for Digital SLR?

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus Pursues Standardized Mount for Digital SLR?
From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 14:59:15 +1100
>>It sounds like the film camera users are subsidising the movement to digital.
>>Wayne Harridge
>>
>It does make you wonder how much income from film will disappear in
>the switch to digital.  And since film income is often cited as the
>only thing that keeps camera sellers in business, will the remaining
>camera stores disappear? How will they sell digital then? Oh, mark
>them up?
>--
>Winsor Crosby

I suspect that digitals will be sold as much by computer stores and
department stores in future. I've noticed a couple of stores here with a
computer department gearing up to sell digital (Harvey Norman, Wayne).
Traditional camera stores won't compete well with fast turnover discount
operations selling short lived consumer goods - especially when they can't
support it with film processing income.
AndrewF