Re: [OM] Olympus Pursues Standardized Mount for Digital SLR?

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus Pursues Standardized Mount for Digital SLR?
From: "Paul D. Farrar" <farrar@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 22:12:40 -0600
At 10:55 AM 11/27/01 +1100, you wrote:

>> GPaul64@xxxxxxx <GPaul64@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> TOKYO, Nov 22 Asia Pulse - Olympus Optical Co. (TSE:7733) said
>> Wednesday it will restructure its loss-making digital camera
>> business, hoping to restore it to the point where it will break even
>> on an operating basis in fiscal 2002.
>

>The thing I find most interesting about this item is that digital is
currently a **loss-
>making business*** !
>
>Are Nikon, Canon, etc. digital camera divisions also in the same situation ?

I think pretty much all the major makers are losing money on digital. They are
using revenues from other divisions to buy digital market share, so they'll be
a major player in what they think will be the big future market when the
eventual
shakeout comes. Right now film is carrying digital financially.

Olympus does have way too many models.

>It sounds like the film camera users are subsidising the movement to digital.

That's it.

Paul