Re: Re: [OM] OM2? 2N? 2SP?

Subject: Re: Re: [OM] OM2? 2N? 2SP?
From: "Bill Stanke" <bstanke@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 20:20:33 -0800
The obvious solution is to own both!

The 2S is more a "junior" OM-4 (with the addition of the program mode)
rather than a variation of the OM-2.

Advantages of "S" over "2":

Permanent hot shoe (no extra $ for Shoe 4)
TTL connector built-in (No extra $ for TTL Autoconnector 4)
Sexiest shutter sound in OM-dom
Provision for optional handgrip
Motor drive/battery cover is still available
Spot meter
You don't pay extra for a black body
Program mode option
Self timer will pre-fire aperture

Advantage of "2" over "S":
2 is probably more repairable
Off switch really turns things off
You can leave shoe off if you don't care about flash
Faster framing rate with motor drive (5 fps vs 3.5 fps for S)
2S flash LED will suck camera batteries dry (unless converted to "red" LED
circuit)
2S has much rougher manual film advance (use a winder!)
Chrome body is N/A for a 2S
2 has better overall build quality

It probably comes down to the condition/quality of the different specimens
available to you. KEH had an OM-2n (chrome) for $179 USD in "excellent"
condition; no S in stock.

My two cents.

Bill Stanke