Re: [OM] OM2? 2N? 2SP?

Subject: Re: [OM] OM2? 2N? 2SP?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 13:24:07 +0000
At 04:11 11/27/01, Mark Lloyd wrote:
The 2(N) and 2sp are two totally different classes of
camera. Think of the 2sp as more of an OM-4 lite
rather than a 2(N) deluxe. If you like the 2 series
more than a 4 series then get the 2(N) If, on the
other hand, you prefer the 4 series get the 2sp. There
is a big difference in handling and 'feel' between my
Mom's 2n and my 2sp and not so much difference between
it and my OM-4

Mark Lloyd

A good description of the differences has already been posted. I have an OM-1n, OM-2S and OM-4, and agree with Mark; the 2S is a cousin of the OM-4[T] with less sophisticated spot metering and lacking some of the special metering functions. The 2[n] is like the OM-1[n] with aperture priority AE and an electronic shutter. I got the OM-2S to backup to the OM-4 because of this. IMO the higher battery drain is overblown, even without the "flash ready" conversion. A 2S in excellent or better condition will fetch a little over $200, a bump up from the going rate for a chrome 2n in similar condition. Which is right for you will depend on what you want in features and what you're used to handling. For me, I can pick up either the 4 or the 2S and they feel almost exactly the same in operation plus both have built-in hot shoes ad the same connections for TTL/OTF "T series" flash control. This makes them interchangeable for nearly everything I do with them. Someone who uses an OM-1[n] heavily would probably say the same when handling an OM-2[n].

-- John