Re: [OM] What do CLAs entail?

Subject: Re: [OM] What do CLAs entail?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 00:04:47 +0000
Dean,
I've had a CLA performed on two bodies by Camtech. John H. does a superb job and he cares about the work he does. Each shop has its own definition of what constitutes a "CLA" and John H. has a general description of his on his web site. If you have any questions about a CLA or special work you would like him to do on a specific OM body, just email him. I had one done just before selling the body, and the other to restore a heavily used body (in excellent cosmetic condition) to pristine working condition. Yes, OM withdrawl can be an issue.

More seriously:
No professional would work without spares of very nearly everything, or at least a work-around to keep shooting if equipment fails. Semi-pro and very serious amateurs should also have spare gear. Having an entire 35mm SLR system "down" for a couple months for CLA's or repairs is a Bad Thing.
Less seriously:
Welcome to Zuikoholism.  One of the reasons to justify a second OM body.  :-)

I have three: OM-4 as body most often used (first choice in the bag); OM-2S as a spare to backup the OM-4 and sometimes used to shoot different film without having to unload the OM-4. OM-1n with mechanical shutter for shooting in severe cold weather; also used to shoot different film without having to unload the OM-4 or OM-2S; obviously it's also a backup to the OM-4, but I'd rather use the OM-2S with OTF metering and flash control. I used the "program" mode in the 2S once (a few frames on one roll) just to test it.

Used the OM-2S while the OM-4 was in for CLA, and was very glad I got it to backup the OM-4 a while ago.

-- John