Re: [OM] build-it-ourselves digital back - was "Om-2000 no longer availa

Subject: Re: [OM] build-it-ourselves digital back - was "Om-2000 no longer available??"
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 21:38:19 -0800
on 11/27/01 6:30 AM, Tom Scales at tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I've thought the same thing and was willing to buy a cheap digital camera
> for parts, but have no clue where to even start. It would take some pretty
> creative machining to get the right parts.  The key would be the focus
> point, wouldn't it?  Could we assume it has to be in the same place as the
> 35mm film plane?  Seems like you could take the sensor and replace the
> pressure plate.  Route the connections out the back to a 'box' on the back
> of the camera.  Maybe even gut a Winder and put everything in it?
>
> Tom

I think Tom is right, the key is getting the imaging sensor in the right
place -- the focus point... If I understand the construction of a digicam
image sensor, there are a couple of layers of filters in front of the actual
image sensor (I think these were described by Tim Hughes as a low-pass and
high-pass filter). So the current image sensor has some physical depth,
though I'm not sure how much.

35mm film has the image sensor essentially at the surface, and the
focal-plane shutter is very close to that surface. The focused image is
formed at that surface, and unless the digital image sensor's actual pixel
sensor elements (not the filter, the actual sensing elements) is at the
right location, the focus will be off. So if the depth of the digital image
sensor is greater than the clearance between the shutter curtains and the
film surface, you don't have enough room.

I have no idea what the actual 'focus depth' of a digital image sensor is
relative to the physical front of it, but this is key to getting a digital
back that will work with OM bodies. You basically need a digital image
sensor 24mm x 36mm by probably less than 1mm deep front to back, maybe even
thinner.
--

Jim Brokaw