Re: [OM] Advising Students

Subject: Re: [OM] Advising Students
From: Damon Wood <deewhy_au@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 17:46:35 +1100 (EST)
HMmmmmmmmmmm.

Yes, I wish Oly would reunite with their famous OM roots too.

I am a little concerned too with regards to their production of hardline manual
camera systems. Basically, I cant see myself going out there and getting
involved in another system, let alone get interested in another (except if
N**** or L**** if they are the last on the planet at the death of Oly).

I mean I want to get some of the money back that I spend on OM gear from my
pictures. But someday, these systems will become to a certain degree, near
commercial extinction (especially here in OZ), and all available gear will
either be sold in very few second hand departments - not to mention some
waiting lists for OM bodies and classic Zuiko's. What about the repairmen too.
Parts are to a degree are also limited, as well as available OM money good
repairs for good equuipment - deservedly so!

I am experiencing this now as I look at the fastest and longest focal length
Zuiko available from Japan at the moment (for interest reasons  I continue to
take pics for the Australian National Soccer Legue). That is the (for memory)
350mm f2 or 2.8? Anyway, this lens sells for between AUD $17 to 18
thousand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - without shipping to OZ (which is to
sometimes risky). There is the 600 f4 or 5?, but I want a fast lens - and it
has to be Zuiko! They definitely pay off for both fast action and capable night
photography without serious blurr as well as a lifetime investment. Waht about
brand new Motor Drives, they are a big ticket item too.

And the crisis we have with regards to the w** at the moment (no offence to
anyone or stating the obvious). Like many w***, economic pressures usually
force the soft industries out , keeping hard, niche industries in production. I
hope this doesnt happen to Oly, Japan is reasonably hit by this too, and this
may well be the start of it.

Concerned 'Olyzuikoholic' who cant let go :(  Hope I didnt depress anyone.

Damo

Damon Wood
Dip. Technology (Applied Science)
Advanced Manufacturing Technology Centre (AMTC)
Sustainable Development (BSc)
Undergraduate Student
Murdoch University
Secretary M.C.C. WASTCA