Re: [OM] Advising Students

Subject: Re: [OM] Advising Students
From: "M. Royer" <royer007@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 23:14:19 -0800 (PST)
U.S probably has the biggest source of parts and
repairmen in the world for Zuiko. Also eventually with
things getting so advanced the OM-1, and 2 series
could probably have parts custom machined/wired for it
for a reasonable cost.
I see the OM system maybe becoimng something like
screwmount Leica. Old, but not forgotten and stil
supported by thirdparty sources. Also, barring
catasrophic damage, these lenses and camera bodies can
last a LONG time without failure, and a CLA is easy to
get and do to restore the camera or lens to perfect
working order.
The lenses, since they are pure metal, rubber, and
glass are far more easily repaired than the autofocus
things with microchips and plastic everything. The
300/4.5 Zuiko you bought will probably outlast a 300
AF anything cause in today's market since cmaera
manufacturer's have discovered the joys of 'planned
obselesence' I am not sure you could find the
circutboard for one of those expensive 1980's AF
lenses from c*non but it wouldn't matter anyways since
they have a 'new improved' version which would cost
another 500 dollars.
All my equipment except a 24 shift, I purchased used,
so basically I am a bottom feeding e*ayer. Still that
silvernosed 50/1.4 I have still works perfectly and I
expect it will for another 100,000 miles. Anyway just
saying the OM line already is mainly in the hands of
the people and no longer a matter so much of Oly
Optical Co. This is both a good and a bad thing. Less
'official' support and no warranty, but items made so
well that a warranty isn't as necessary since the
items last 20+ years without fail or major defect.
Insurance is better anyways if one is heavily
invested.

Getting angst out of your system is good

Mark Lloyd