Re: [OM] Advising Students - now slightly OT

Subject: Re: [OM] Advising Students - now slightly OT
From: James M Costello <jamie-nancy@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 06:23:02 -0500
All of this talk about the durability/features quotient of various
entry-level SLRs has gotten me wondering.   If there is truly no money to
be made in film-based SLRs, what about the new Sigma SA-7 and SA-9?  Were
they built and marketed simply to sell more lenses?  Does anybody know
who builds these bodies?   They appear to be almost entirely plastic
(read "disposable"); the lense mount being the only piece of metal
mentioned in the reviews I've seen.   Interestingly, I think they also
have mirror-lockup.  I think the street price on both models (body only)
is under $300.

Jamie Costello