[OM] om1 came

Subject: [OM] om1 came
From: Wayne Culberson <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 13:28:48 -0400
Okay, I received my $75 OM1 from the ebayer in S. Africa today. Someone
asked me to report what I got, so here goes. This is my first purchase
of the single digit series, so I'm not too familiar with them. It does
not have the md label on the front. Has both caps on bottom. Shutter
speeds seem/sound okay. Shoe one is cracked. Silver nose 50/1.8 with
garden inside. Very slight dent on prism top. Olympus strap. Generic
lens cap. Self timer not working, have to wind the camera twice before
it fully returns. Small paint chips on back. Leather lifting very
slightly at a couple points. I put in a 1.4v hearing aid battery, and
the meter reads the same as my other OM's. Base plate scuffed a little.
Mirror lock up moves mirror all the way. Mirror looks good. Brown spot
in bottom of viewfinder. I don't know how to remove the mirror, so can't
clean/inspect it. Mirror foam is almost gone. Here's the question;
should I sell for a parts camera, or is it worth sending for a CLA? (I
kind of like Ex+ cameras, and have an OM2000 coming my way). Also, is
there any chance of the garden spreading to other lenses? Should it be
chucked?
        The seller also sent along a free XA with A11 flash, that was wound and
wouldn't fire, and had part of a roll of film in it. I've never had one
of these either, so started trying to figure it out. I don't have a
manual, and it is somewhat different than my RC. Anyways, I replaced the
batteries, and put a battery in the flash, and it all seems to work
fine. Are these of any real value? I have a MJU Epic with 2.8, that is a
little smaller, are they comparable in pic quality?
Wayne Culberson
P.S. I only get the digest and can't find the info to sign up for the
list again, so can't see any replies right off.