Re: [OM] hyper focal scales, or lack there of

Subject: Re: [OM] hyper focal scales, or lack there of
From: "Paul Farrar" <farrar@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 15:03:53 -0600 (CST)

> : I have noticed that most of my zooms lack a hyperfocal
> : scale on the barrel (or anywhere else that I know of).
> :
> : I figured I would ask the wise and beneficent members
> : of the list for work arounds.
> :
> : In other words, if you wanted to do a landscape with
> : infinty at the far end and 8 (or whatever the lens can
> : do) for the near end at f16, how would you manage
> : without the scale?
>

> Hyperfocal settings are only useful in the wide angle and standard range.
> Just apply something you would do with a fixed focal lens, like F11, 3m wih
> the zoom at the 35mm setting, and F16, 5m at the 50mm setting.
>
> hnz

I use a simple formula. For 50mm divide 400ft (or 120m) by the f#.
This is a little more conservative on the CoC (1/50mm) than your
numbers. But you can use 2/3 of the value with no noticable effect
probably. Hyperfocal distance scales with the square of focal
length. So for a 70mm double it, and for a 35mm halve it, etc. For
example 24mm at f/8 = 120m/(8*4) = 10m, but you can use 7m.

An interesting hyperfocal technique is that of Merklinger. See
http://fox.nstn.ca/~hmmerk/HMbook14.html
He thinks use of hyperfocal distance produces excessively out-
of-focus distant objects.

I personally rarely use hyperfocal, because I'm usually trying
to isolate the subject from the background.

Paul Farrar