[OM] Digital "film" replacement?

Subject: [OM] Digital "film" replacement?
From: Olympus <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 14:44:36 -0800
I read about this item a long time ago, maybe 3-4 years ago, and I've been waiting for it, and it has not materialized, and I figure you people all are bored and do nothing but read photography stuff so I'd ask you all.. :-)

OK, the item looks like a roll of film, with some film out, enough film out to cover what would be the film plane in an ordinary camera. Except the piece sticking out is actually digital sensors, and the film case, is actually a small computer with a memory bank. So you stick this thing in like regular film, and you take pictures, just like regular film, but what you get is digital images, not film. I saw an article about it, how this item will basically give you the flexibility of SLR's but allow you to go digital at a whim. So if anybody knows what I am talking about, and knows the status of it... share!

Thanks.
Albert