RE: [OM] Advising students

Subject: RE: [OM] Advising students
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2001 10:03:34 +0000
At 06:36 11/28/01, Andrew Fildes wrote:
FM10 is probably too fragile and auto. FM2/3 are perfect but pricey (FM3a
is US$800 here - I could buy 4-6 good student cameras with lenses for
that!) FM3 is not an OM2 equivalent AFAIK - it has no auto does it? More
like an OM3 equivalent? A good Nikkormat FT3 or early K1000 is a good
choice.

The FM3a is a combination of the FE2 (out of production) and an FM2n (still in production). Sadly for Nik*n the sales have been slow. It has a mechanical and electronic shutter with manual and aperture priority AE modes. I thought this body would be more popular, especially among those who yearned for the return of the FE2. The price point is very good. Perhaps because it has lacked adequate press coverage and advertising? AFIK it's the only body with a mechanical shutter backup at *all* shutter speeds allowing it to function without batteries (and consequently metering) at all shutter speeds. If I were using a Nik*n manual focus system it would be on my "most wanted" list.

OM content:
Doesn't have the advanced spot metering of the OM-3[ti]/OM-4[T], otherwise it would be like having both in one body.

-- John