Re: [OM] Advising students

Subject: Re: [OM] Advising students
From: ClassicVW@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2001 10:24:04 EST
jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> I thought this body would be more popular, especially among those
> who yearned for the return of the FE2.  The price point is very
> good.  Perhaps because it has lacked adequate press coverage and
> advertising?  <snip>

I took the original discussion of 'student' cameras to mean something other
than to include $600 bodies. I thought we were talking more along the lines
of a $100 K-1000 or $75 OM-10 for a beginner to learn the basics on. I'm
taking the 'student' tag seriously- someone in say, a freshman High School
photography class. I may be wrong, but I feel a 'student' doesn't have $600
to sink into just a body.

You and I may appreciate the FM3a (which I do), but the slow sales tells me
the rest of the population doesn't share our love of manual focus cameras.
This certainly doesn't bode well for our hopes of a new Olympus body, or
re-tooling an old one, does it? The public is increasingly being shown 'the
latest' AF SLRs, P&S, and digital bodies and being told 'this is what you
need'. Nobody, Nikon included, is advertsiing a line of manual focus cameras.
Sad situation, I agree.

George S.