Re: [OM] Problem with M15v control pack

Subject: Re: [OM] Problem with M15v control pack
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 10:45:30 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 4 Dec 2001 HI100@xxxxxxx wrote:

>       To avoid damaging the cells by overcharging you can use a timer, as is
> often recommended on the list, but this is not very  good since you don't
> really know how deeply discharged the cells are with a partial discharge and,
> the Olympus charger provides a high charge rate that is not well controlled.
> A better way is to charge the cells at a slower rate than the Olympus
> charger. The cells can then more easily take extended overcharge with no
> damage.

There are at least two types of Olympus MD chargers.  The more common one is
a large wall adapter that has four screw holes at the top for input voltage
selection.  The less common one is a much smaller wall adapter that only
works with 110V.  The charging rate between these two adapters is significantly
different.  The larger adapter provides a fully rectified and smoothed output
signal whereas the smaller one provides a half rectified AC waveform.  The
smaller adapter will take significantly longer to charge the cells since it's
only charging the cells for a short period of time.  It's like giving the
cells a series of short burts instead of a continuous stream.  I have no idea
which method is better for the cells, but the smaller adapter does charge the
cells slower.
                                -mark