Re: [OM] Some interesting images to share

Subject: Re: [OM] Some interesting images to share
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 10:52:16 -0800
Hi,

O.k., I believe I had promised sharing some results of the 24/2 as soon as
I'd have them. Either way, whether I did or not, here are a few thingies
which one may find interesting.

1) I did an indicative distortion test of the 24/2 vs the 24/2.8 vs the 28/2
vs the 28/3.5. Bottom-line: I can hardly tell them apart! None of these
lenses seems to have obvious distortion, but the camera may not have been
completely level and or parallel to the wall, as in all shots, the top row
falls off very heavily to the right. Either way, this happens in the shots
of all 4 lenses, and it seems to happen more or less to the same extent.
From what I can tell from looking at the rest of the picture, it seems the
24/2 doesn't have any (strong) distortion, but hey, these tests are
indicative only, a fully scientifically justified test might yield different
results. I'm sorry I don't have any scans of these shots (yet), perhaps I'll
add some a bit later.

2) Ahhhhh, to reanimate an old thread: the notorious MC vs. SC comparison...
I did a quick indicative test to show the differences in flare in a
particularly tough situation, using my 24/2 (MC) and my 24/2.8 (2nd
generation Zuiko, black-nose, H.Zuiko). You may find the results shocking...
I have to admit that I didn't use to pay too much attention to the MC vs SC
threads, but for situations like these (esp. when shooting with something
wide), I have to say that the advantages of MC are becoming very apparent.
Check the results at:
http://www.millennics.com/olympus/various/flaretest.html

3) Autumn-red-leave-time came to The Netherlands too (and went again, BTW),
so time to take matters to the extreme: Kodak Ektachrome E100VS + a Didymium
filter... I don't like the blues in the Didymium shots, but take a look at
the reds on the following page (filterless comparison shots are included
too):
http://www.millennics.com/olympus/various/didymiumtest.html

Enjoy!
Olafo

An amazing difference in the flare shots, especially when one would expect the faster lens to have more flare. MC is good.

I agree with you about the blues in the Didymium shots.

Thanks for sharing your findings.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California