Re: [OM] Junk OM bodies

Subject: Re: [OM] Junk OM bodies
From: Doggre@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 15:07:40 EST
In a message dated 12/4/01 10:42:47 AM Pacific Standard Time,
bstanke@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> This is really a question for John H. and Clint, but I wil ask
>  everybody.
>
>  Should we send our techs old (destroyed) bodies that they can canabilize
>  for parts?  I have the carcass of an OM-1 that I could include with the
>  next "good" body that I send in for a CLA.  I would assume that the
>  screws, ball bearings, etc. could be recycled, if nothing else.

Sounds like a great idea, Bill.  Had it, myself, and I'm sure we're not the
only two.  Why not lenses, flash units, winders, ANYTHING that may contain
useable parts, as well?

I'm a firm believer in recycling.  Being the son of parents who went thru the
Great Depression, I was raised to waste nothing.  Since many of the
components of our precious OM system are no longer in production, why "junk"
them?  It's really rewarding to combine parts from a couple or more
non-functioning mechanical devices to bring at least one of them back to
life.  Runs counter to our "throw-away" society.

My OM-2S was repaired with a canibalized viewfinder from another OM-2S.  Like
new again!

It may be "junk" to you, but why not send it on to your tech (or another list
member) who could possibly put it to further use?

Rich