[OM] Flash, Bounce Grip, Advice needed !

Subject: [OM] Flash, Bounce Grip, Advice needed !
From: "Jon Mitchell" <jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 21:03:12 -0000
Hello everyone,

Some advice needed before I make my next purchase (or at least, before I put
it on my Christmas List !!)

A little background ...

I used to own an OM-10 (still do, but it's knackered !).  For that, I had a
"dedicated" flash.  Never was really sure what that meant as such, other
than the fact that it seemed to talk with the camera and they seemed to
pretty much decide for themselves what to do !!  I never properly understood
it, I think, and never really got that much use out of it.  The flash in
question is a "Vivitar Auto Thyristor 4600 system" - or at least that's what
it says on it.

Having upgraded my OM-10 (note, whoever was asking, it is DEFINITELY an
upgrade !!) to an OM-2n, I am contemplating trying some more flash stuff.  I
have tried the Vivitar flash with the Hot Shoe 4 on the OM-2n, and it works
fine in "Manual" mode (both camera and flash on manual).  Tried a little
portrait type shots of my girlfriend, and they came out extremely well.  I
took the flash and OM-2n to a Christmas party last week, with the intention
of taking a number of photos.  In this sort of environment, however, a flash
of that size (it is huge, and probably as heavy as the camera !!) simply is
not practical - and it is EXTREMELY unstable on the hot shoe.  That shoe is
very, very delicate.  Already has a couple of cracks in it (usual places) so
will be trying the resin trick soon.

So first question - anyone got any experience / advice on the best way to
resin the Hot Shoe 4 ?  I'd like to try and save the one I have if I can
rather than buying one (leaves more OMoney for other purchases !)

Next, has anyone got any experience of this flash ?  Is there any way of
getting it's full "automatic" functionality with the OM-2n (the flash
instruction suggests not).

Given that I am not using this flash to it's full potential, and it is HUGE,
I am considering investing in a T20 or T32 flash.  These seem much smaller
and less likely to break the Hot Shoe or prism !!  If I understand it
correctly, I should be able to make much better use of the cameras OTF
functions using an Olympus flash ?  Is this true ?

To avoid making the Vivitar flash an unnecessary item, and for those
occasions when a big, much more powerful flash (and one that can keep up
with a 2fps auto winder if necessary) is needed, I have considered the
"handle" option.  I think this is what you have been refering to as a Bounce
Grip ?  Could someone confirm this ?  The thing I mean has a plate which you
screw into the bottom of the camera, then an arm vertically with a hand grip
on.  There is also a flash mount on the top of this handle, meaning I could
mount the flash seperately from the camera.

Assuming the "Bounce Grip" is what I am thinking of, does such a thing have
a "Hot Shoe" contact on it ?  or something I can plug into the Flash
connector on the OM-2n ?  The vivitar flash has only a Hot Shoe contact - no
cable socket !

Well, I hope that isn't too much to be asking in one go !!  Basically, I
want a flash which I can use for general, everyday use without breaking the
camera or needing a tow-truck to carry, or indeed the worlds largest battery
supply.  I also would like to be able to use the larger flash, as and when
necessary, possibly using a "Bounce Grip" or whatever else that thing I
described is called.  Of course, you may well convince me that this large
flash will never be needed once I have a T20 / T32 !!

Right, thanks for any help / advice you can give.

Jon Mitchell

PS:  With all this talk of Shift Lenses, I am left wondering, somewhat
ignorantly, exactly what they are !  Anyone got an idiot-proof description /
explanation ?