Re: [OM] Moisture control

Subject: Re: [OM] Moisture control
From: Gregg Iverson <golftooter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2001 21:45:04 -0500
I noticed this weekend that Bass Pro Shops has waterproof cases for much less than the Pelicans. Not as nice looking either, but you get what you pay for.

Gregg

Dry out the silica gel packets frequently in the oven? Wipe down the lenses, bodies, accessories after
every use. Beyond that, expect a shorter lifespan for the equipment.
Saltwater is a b****.
Buy a "user" and keep the "pretty" one at home. That's what I'd do. A good
excuse to pick up another body. :-)

All my gear 'lives' in Pelican cases, and has done so for several years. I have not noticed any problems with lubricants or films.

I would say in your circumstances this is definitely the way to go to protect your gear.

I can keep equipment protected when not in use by using a water tight box with silica gel. However would those conditions be harmful to the lubrication used on the internal mechanisms? What about the film? Will the dry conditions in the box have an adverse effect on the film even keeping the box in the coolest part of the boat? Will it become brittle if left sealed up for weeks?