Re: [OM] Olympus OM 4T

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus OM 4T
From: Jim Couch <JamesBCouch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 08:43:02 -0800
Sorry to hear about your heart attack Dinkar. Hope you continue to recover. I
don't know the specifics of your episode, but I know of many people who have
survived heart attacks and with a few changes in lifestyle most have returned to
'normal' or even improved health. Best of luck and god bless.

There are qa number of problems I see with refinishing the top plate for the 4T.
Most likely the top and bottom are not painted per say, but rather powder
coated. Powder coating is more durable than standard paints. The problem is
finding a good powder coating outfit that can do a thin enough coat for the top
plate. Most powder coating is to thick.

The other problem is that not only do you need to get the top cover off the
camera, but you will also need to remove everything from it, including the film
speed cluster, hot shoe, and the spot meter control cluster. I have no idea how
involved all that is, but I would guess it is somewhat involved. While I have
disassembled and repaired my fair share of cameras (including the OM1, OM2 and
OM2s) I would not even attempt to take apart a 4 or 4T!

My advice would be to either buy the 4T and display it's 'war wounds' proudly,
or wait for one in better cosmetic condition to come along. It does seem like
the 4s, and the Champagne in particular, are not very durable when it comes to
the finish.

The 4Ts all have the later circuits, so you will not have battery drain
problems. As far as checks go, do the usual shutter speed, flash, auto and
manual checks, ect. Also check that the spot meter, hilight, and shadow buttons
are all functioning properly.

Jim Couch