Re: [OM] The SC MC Debate again

Subject: Re: [OM] The SC MC Debate again
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2001 07:34:57 +0000
At 05:02 12/5/01, Hank wrote:
Well the difference in Single Coated and Multicoated lenses makes a big difference for me when I do UltraViolet photography using Fuji 64 Tungsten balanced film and a UV transmitting filter like the Schott UG-1 filter (B&W 403). I still get some UV effects with the MC lenses but UV transmittance is better with Single Coated.
A Botanist named Bjorn Rorslett has some excellent pages about this
on his site (NAERFOTO) at http://www.foto.no/nikon/index2_PC.html
Since there are no Quartz Zuikos, I rely on my single coated 55 f1.2 Zuiko. By the way I tried some comparison photos with the UV (UG-1) filter and Wratten 85 on my IS-3 using the Fuji 64 T film and the Ultraviolet were a disappointment for me.
Well, I really like the IS-3 for Visible light, and I'm hoping that
it will work out for infrared, too.

-- Hank

Hank,
As you're aware, the reason for quartz lenses is glass inherently attenuates UV. Unless the additional 1-1/6th stops is essential, you might try a single-coated, dirt cheap used, 50/1.8 F.Zuiko versus the 55/1.2 G.Zuiko. It has less glass (6 elements). I haven't done UV, but from what I've read about it the UV shooters go after old, uncoated prime lenses with as few elements as possible (among the preferred seems to be uncoated 4 element 3 group Carl Zeiss Tessar type designs).

Possible alternative:
Edmund Optics sells UV grade optics (synthetic fused silica; good to about 200 nanometers). The elements are expensive, and requires ability to design/build a camera lens using what they have available, then "roll yer own" using a carcass for a mount such as an old 50/1.8 SC.
  http://www.edmundoptics.com/IOD/DisplayProduct.cfm?productid=2027

-- John