Re: [OM] cheaper alternative to a 16/3.5

Subject: Re: [OM] cheaper alternative to a 16/3.5
From: "Skip Williams" <skipwilliamsom@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2001 09:33:28 -0500
With OM bodies, I like the 16mm. If you get the horizon through the center of the frame horizontally or vertically, the distortion is pretty managable.

I had an 18mm years ago, but sold it (darn!).

I use a 21/3.5 paired with the 16/3.5 often. Nice complements, those two lenses.

The biggest issue with the Ultra Wide Angle lenses, especially the rectilinear ones, is that you've GOT to keep them level. There's so much horizon it's very easy to get it off a little. And it shows up quickly with that large FOV.

FOV is almost identical for the same focal length across manufacturers.

P.S. If I really need wide, I have a 14mm/4.5 Voigtlander. And I could get a 12/5.6! But it's not as easy to do UWA's with a rangefinder.

Skip