RE: [OM] The SC MC Debate again

Subject: RE: [OM] The SC MC Debate again
From: "Olaf Greve" <o.greve@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 16:54:11 +0100
Hi Ken,

> The only lenses I own that I would have preferred to be MC is the 24/2.8
and the 50/3.5.
> Both of these lenses tend to flare horribly without any encouragement.

Well, don't shoot the messenger if the message is incorrect, but from
another list member I have heard that the 50/3.5 was always MC, despite the
fact that this is not explicitely mentioned in the documentation... Are you
sure your's is SC?

> One person's flare is another person's opportunity.

Back when I was a student and had about zilch to spend on OM gear, I always
very happily used my father's 28/3.5 (yes, a silvernose from the early
seventies, no you can't have it ;) ), I got some of my very best pictures
with that lens. Flare was hardly ever an issue, as I don't take too many
shots with the sunlight all too directly into the composition. Still I must
say that I was surprised by the huge difference between the two 24mm shots I
posted. I had expected the 24/2 to outperform the 24/2.8 flare-wise, but I
hadn't expected the difference to be this big. Still, apart from extreme
situations like these (and for night shots with street lanterns etc.), the
28/3.5 is a most pleasing lens. My only real complaint about it, is that
it's a bit slow.

> Much of Ansel Adams' work utilized the flare of the lens/filters in these
situations to
> soften an otherwise harsh scene.

To take matters one step further even: I have seen completely _digitally_
created trailers of games, in which in the intro, a panning camera effect is
shown, and sure enough, as soon as the sun becomes part of the composition,
they had _digitally_ included some flare. I found this particularly funny,
as the flare has obviously been added intentionally (as no camera was used).
This goes to show that flare can have its charm (when it's not as strong as
in the 24/2.8 demonstration shot I posted), and indeed at times I think a
shot _can_ look nicer when it has a touch of flare (typically not though).
:)

> Do you think I'd be so stupid as to say "sorry I don't want your stinkin
SC lenses"?
> DUH! I'll run SC lenses to the very end of my time with Olympus. Maybe
pickup a 24/2.8
> MC, but that would most likely be it.

I have never paid too much attention to the coating of a lens, but I think
that for the ones that are on the wide side it may make sense to try to get
MC versions. Still, I wouldn't turn a lens down just because it's SC either
:)

Cheers!
Olafo